Most of us learn sequentially. Take math for example. First, we learned to count. After that we learned addition, subtraction, multiplication and then division. Similarly, childhood Christian education should be sequential. A complete education provides three essential elements: Foundational Truths, Learning Levels, and Growth Dimensions.
Foundational Truths: Three Cornerstones of Victorious Living
Start at the cross. God’s message, mission, and motive are foundational truths at the heart of a Children’s Discipleship System.
1. God’s Message: the Gospel, the Greatest News ever proclaimed, should be the earliest message children learn. Jesus died to forgive our sins and rose again to give us new life (Romans 6:5).
2. God’s Mission: disciples, the Greatest Commission ever given. Kids need to understand God’s mission for His followers—go make disciples of all people everywhere (Matthew 28:18-20).
3. God’s Motive: love, the Greatest Commandment ever received. Children must know why God does what He does. Love God with all your being. Love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:30-31).
Learning Levels: Six Stages of Christian Training
To become disciples for life, children progress through six essential learning levels:
Level 1. God’s Greatness: Kids discover the Lord’s character and qualities. They are introduced to who God is, what He is like, and what He does.
Level 2. God’s Word: Students explore the purpose and power of the Bible. They learn how to use God’s inspired, authoritative Book.
Level 3. God’s Son: Children study Jesus Christ’s life and ministry. They walk in His footsteps and decide to follow Him.
Level 4. God’s Church: Kids encounter the Lord’s mission for every believer. They see the Church as God’s instrument to change the world.
Level 5. God’s Kingdom: Students view God’s eternal plan for all nations. They survey Biblical history and learn ways to influence their culture.
Level 6. God’s Champions: Pre-teens embrace Christ’s call to personal discipleship. They explore opportunities to become world-class believers.
Growth Dimensions: Three Dynamics of Growing Disciples
In childhood, Jesus increased in wisdom, in stature, and in favor with God and man (Luke 2:52). A comprehensive children’s discipleship system integrates “3-D Growth”: knowledge plus character plus conduct.
1. Kids develop a reservoir of knowledge based on a Biblical worldview. They grow to know God intimately.
2. Students display Christ-like character in every area of life. They grow to love God passionately.
3. Children demonstrate faithful conduct that honors God and helps people. They grow to serve God selflessly.
NEW: DiscipleTown Download
Introduce kids to basic questions and answers related to understanding and defending the Christian faith—the study of apologetics. Children need the confidence that when they think logically and search God’s Word, He will provide His answers! How to Know the Truth includes everything you need to teach four Kids Church lessons. Click here to learn more…
NEW: My Volcano Adventure
Created in partnership with Wycliffe Bible Translators, your kids will travel with Dee, Cy, Paul, and their dog Chip to the Philippines where they meet Bible translators. In this adventure, your kids will discover how we got the Bible—and why. They will learn about the Bible’s authority, its message, and its purpose. Children ages 6-12 can use My Volcano Adventure in a variety of settings. All 12 lessons include a Bible study and exciting learning activities. Each Teacher Guide also includes a host of digital download media files. Learn More…